Ready or Not: What you should know before quitting your 9-5
With the New Year comes new goals and new resolutions. Many people will say that this is the year they’re going to make the leap from their 9-5 and launch a business or that they’re finally going to make their side hustle a full-time gig. But while it may sound like a great idea, how do you know when you’re actually ready? To be honest, you’ll never be truly ‘ready’. It’s all about taking that leap of faith.
Coming from someone who made the decision to leave the comfortable, safe world of a full-time corporate job just three years ago, I wanted to share a list of some of the things I’ve learned along the way to help those of you who might be on the cusp.
1. Love what you do – So this might seem obvious, but if you’re going to leave your full-time job, make sure it’s for something you’re passionate about. When things get tough, you’ll want to have that passion and fire to keep you going.
2. Be ready to work 24/7 – There’s nothing like quitting your job and having to fend for yourself that makes you want to work your ass off! You alone are solely responsible for your success, and turning yourself “off” isn’t usually a thing.
3. Save, save, save – To be honest, this is something I wish I were a bit more prepared for before I made the leap. You’ll be walking away from the comfort of a steady paycheck, and having a back up of savings that you can dip into when you hit some obstacles is a really nice feeling.
4. Have a strong support system – I couldn’t have done this without the support of my family, friends, and boyfriend. Having people cheering you on helps push you forward. There were definitely times where I cried to my boyfriend and wondered if I made the right decision, and having his support meant everything.
5. Be flexible - It’s safe to say that I didn’t follow a straight path to get to where I am today. I’ve made certain decisions in my business/life based on gut feelings and opportunities. My advice? Roll with the punches and you’ll be surprised where this adventure takes you.